The Japanese introduced their new flagships. Here’s what you need to know about Sony Xperia XZ2 and Xperia XZ2 Compact.
Sony is betting on the design of Ambient Flow
Japanese flagships in 2018 are distinguished by new components and functions in the software, but the key change is the introduction of the design of “Ambient Flow”, thanks to which Sony should be better wedged into the current trends of the mobile market.
Xperia XZ2 and Xperia XZ2 Compact are based on metal frames that have rounded corners. The front panel is protected by a layer of Gorilla Glass 5 glass in the version 2.5 D, which is characterized by curved edges.
Smartphones with a new design should better lie in your hand. Sony Xperia XZ2 Compact will definitely be very comfortable, but I doubt a bit about the Xperia XZ2. In the end, the back of this model is made of glossy glass, which even looks very slippery in photographs. It will be clearly visible fingerprints, but this is a problem almost all flagships with glass cases.
The S-Force speaker still stands in front, but many will not like the lack of a standard headphone jack (3.5 mm). Refusal of this connector should not surprise anyone. Since Sony strongly promotes wireless solutions with the LDAC codec, and it is in new models.
A novelty is the placement of a fingerprint scanner, in new flagships it is located on the back of the case. The manufacturer left the physical shutter release button of the camera, and the cases of both models comply with the IP68 standard – waterproof.
The design of Ambient Flow is a matter of taste, someone will like it, and some will not. But I think that this breath of freshness will certainly help the Japanese.
Screens of the format 18: 9. New panels support improved HDR
Sony Xperia XZ2 and Xperia XZ2 Compact are the first smartphones of the company with panels of the format 18: 9. These are improved IPS LCD panels, which are traditionally made using Triluminos technology. They work with FullHD + resolution (2160 x 1080 pixels), and their diagonals are 5.7 inches and 5 inches, respectively.
A novelty is the introduction of an improved HDR mode (also in a smaller model). They even support records made in 4K (rec. 2020).
No dual camera, but there is an improved Motion Eye
At first glance, it may seem that the Japanese have not changed their cameras practically. It does not use a dual solution, and the lens itself is very similar to the one used in the Xperia XZ Premium and XZ1. This is a Motion Eye camera with:
- the IMX 400 lens with a resolution of 19 megapixels and a size of 1, 3 inches;
- optics with brightness f / 2.0;
- hybrid, predictive focusing system (phase, contrast and laser measurement);
- infrared diode for adjusting the white balance;
- strong diode flash.
Sony has managed to introduce a number of innovations in the previously used systems, which include the improved BIONZ engine and the new Dual Image Signal Processor (Spectra Qualcomm). Cameras XZ2 and XZ2 Compact should provide better color reproduction, and make better pictures in the worst lighting conditions.
Much better look add-ons, which should optimize video recording:
- the possibility of shooting in HDR 4K – Sony has bet on the format of HLG (Hybrid Log Gamma), the materials taken by the smartphone can be viewed on their screens;
- improved Super Slow Motion mode – slow motion video at 960 fps, now you can do in FullHD format.
Changes, of course, will please fans of video recording. New Xperia are the first models on the market with HDR recording in 4K.
XZ2 and XZ2 Compact (mostly) differ only in size
The plus of Sony’s flagship is that the small model does not mean a weak model. Both Xperia are based on the Snapdragon 845 system, which works with 4 GB of RAM, and the built-in UFS-type memory has a capacity of 64 GB (there is also a slot for microSD cards).
But this does not mean that both models offer exactly the same components. The main differences between the two models are as follows:
- the screen size is 5.7 inches in XZ2 vs 5 inches in the XZ2 Compact;
- back panel – tempered glass in XZ2 vs plastic in XZ2 Compact;
- standard LTE – LTE Cat.18. in XZ2 vs LTE Cat.15 in XZ2 Compact;
- the size of the battery is 3180 mAh in XZ2 vs 2870 mAh in XZ2 Compact;
- wireless charging Qi – only available in Xperia XZ2;
- Improved vibratory mechanism – only available in XZ2.
Attention deserves a new vibrating mechanism, which should report new notifications in a more natural way, and during the playback of music through the speakers it will simulate bass.
Sony Xperia XZ2 (Compact) – specifications:
- Manufacturer: Sony.
- Family: Sony Xperia XZ2.
- Flagship smartphone.
- Operating System: Android 8.0 Oreo.
- Sony system.
- Release date: 2018.
- Display diagonal: 5.7 inches (Compact – 5 inches).
- Resolution: 2160 x 1080 pixels.
- Type of matrix: IPS LCD (Triluminos).
- Pixel density: 424 ppi (Compact – 483 ppi).
- Processor Model: Qualcomm Snapdragon 845.
- Number of cores: 8-core, 4 x Kryo 385 2.7 GHz, 4 x Kryo 385 1.7 GHz.
- Graphic system: Adreno 630.
- The maximum amount of RAM: 4 GB.
- The maximum amount of memory: 64 GB.
- Support for microSD cards up to 400 GB.
- Matrix resolution: 19 Mp.
- Aperture brightness: f / 2.0.
- Electronic image stabilization.
- Diode flash.
- Auto focus: contrast detection, laser.
- Matrix resolution: 5 Mp.
- Aperture brightness: f / 2.2.
- LTE: Category 18 (Compact – Category 15).
- WiFi: 802.11 a, b, g, n, ac, two display zones, Wi-Fi Direct.
- Bluetooth 5.0, A2DP, aptX, LE.
- GPS / A-GPS / GLONASS / GALILEO / QZS.
- USB 3.1 typu C.
- Dual SIM is there.
Security & Sensors:
- Fingerprint reader is there.
- Sensors: accelerometer, gyro, approximation, digital compass, barometer.
Dimensions and weight:
- Dimensions: 153 x 72 x 11.1 mm (Compact – 135 x 65 x 12.1 mm).
- Weight: 198 g (Compact – 168 g).
- Capacity of 3180 mAh (Compact – 2870 mAh).
- Removable battery: no.
- Qualcomm Quick Charge 3.0.
- Degree of protection: IP68.
The new Xperia will enter the market very quickly, but prices will have to wait
The new flagships of Sony will go on sale in April and will be available in four colors – white, black, pink and green. These devices will be available in versions of Single SIM and Dual SIM.
Prices Xperia XZ2 and XZ2 Compact are not yet known, but this information will still have to wait. The company plans to begin preliminary sales as early as March 12.