The popular Galaxy A series waited for two new representatives – Galaxy A8 (2018) and Galaxy A8 + (2018).
A small change in names
Smartphones from the Galaxy A line inherit the look and the main characteristics of the flagships of the Galaxy S series. Because of this, Samsung decided to unify the names so that it was clear which model the new smartphones belong to. In this case – Galaxy S8.
- The Galaxy A8 (2018) is the direct successor of the Galaxy A5 (2017);
- The Galaxy A8 + (2018) is the direct successor of the Galaxy A7 (2017).
But this is not the end of the confusion.
In some countries, the Galaxy A8 (2018) is just a Galaxy A8
The phone called Galaxy A8 appeared in stores back in 2015. In the markets where this smartphone was available, new models have a postscript in their name (2018).
Infinity screen in a glass case
As we already know, with their appearance new Galaxy A8 2018 and A8 + 2018 resemble S8. All because of the Infinity screen with proportions of 18.5: 9, which has rounded corners and fills much of the front panel. Unlike the S8, displays of cheap models do not have curved edges.
Another thing Samsung did not take from the S8 (fortunately) is the location of the fingerprint scanner; it is located not on the side of the camera, but under it, which should eliminate the problem with the contamination of the lens with your finger.
A8 has a glass case, which also has a waterproof certificate (IP68).
The full specification of the Galaxy A8 looks like this:
SAMSUNG GALAXY A8 (2018) – Specifications:
- Manufacturer: Samsung.
- Family: Samsung Galaxy A.
- Segment: smart phone of middle class.
- Operating system: Android.
- System overlay: Samsung Experience.
- Released: 2017.
- Display diagonal: 5.6 in.
- The screen resolution is 2220 x 1080.
- Matrix type: AMOLED.
- The pixel density is 441 ppi.
- Processor model: Exynos 7885.
- Number of cores: 8-core, 2 x Cortex-A73 x 2.2 GHz + 6 x Cortex-A53 1.6 GHz.
- Graphical core: ARM Mali-G71.
- The maximum amount of RAM: 4 GB.
- The maximum internal memory is 64 GB.
- Support for microSD memory cards up to 256 GB.
- Matrix resolution: 16 megapixels.
- Aperture brightness: f / 1,7.
- Electronic image stabilization.
- Flash: double two-ton.
- Auto focus with phase detection.
- Matrix resolution: 16 megapixels.
- Aperture brightness: f / 1,9.
- The second matrix: 8 Mp.
- LTE category 11.
- Wi-fi 802.11 a / b / g / n / ac, two display zones.
- Bluetooth 5.0, LE, A2DP, EDR.
- GPS / A-GPS / GLONASS / BDS.
- USB 2.0 type C.
- Two SIM cards.
Safety and sensors:
- The fingerprint scanner.
- Sensors: an accelerometer, a gyroscope, a barometer, approximations, a digital compass.
Dimensions and weight:
- Dimensions: 149.2 x 70.6 x 8.4 mm.
- Weight: 172 g.
- Battery capacity: 3000 mAh.
- The battery is not removable.
- Fast charging.
- Degree of protection: IP68.
The screen resolution is quite good, and the used processor Exynos 7885 has not only energy-efficient cores, but also more powerful Cortexy-A73, as well as a decent graphics processor, so the smartphone should provide acceptable performance. The system also supports new communication standards (including Bluetoothem 5.0).
On paper, the battery capacity is not impressive, but the A8 has less energy-hungry components than the S8, so it also needs to show a good time on one charge.
Disappoints only not the latest version of Android (7.1 Nougat). After all, the Android 8.0 Oreo system can boast of many smartphones, even the lower class.
Gear VR Support
Galaxy A8 2018 is the first smartphone from the middle price range, which is compatible with Gear VR. But this requires a new version with a USB-C connector.
The Galaxy A8 2018 and Galaxy A8 + 2018 are differences
The model with a plus in the title has:
- screen with a larger diagonal (6 instead of 5.6 inches);
- a battery of higher capacity (3000 instead of 3500 mAh);
- Additional option with a large amount of RAM (6 instead of 4 GB).
That is, they are absolutely identical phones, just one little bit more.
Dual front camera
One of the leading features of the Galaxy A8 is the known with Galaxy Note 8 Live Focus mode (background blur behind the subject of shooting).
But in Note 8, this function works when using the main camera, in A8 it is supported by a front camera with a resolution of 16 megapixels. This became possible thanks to an additional lens, which has an 8-megapixel matrix, whose task is to collect information about the depth.
The main camera also has 16 megapixels. It has a very good aperture brightness (f / 1.7), but here there is no optical image stabilization.
During video recording, you can use Digital Image Stabilization (VDis). There’s also the Hyperlapse feature known from the flagships, which allows you to take time-lapse photography in motion.
Samsung Galaxy A8 (2018) – prices
European prices for new smartphones look like this:
Galaxy A8 (4/32 GB) – 499 euros.
Galaxy A8 + (4/32 GB) – 599 euros.
I think that prices in our country will be slightly lower. Do you think they are worth it?