We try not only to test the best smartphones, but also those that most people can afford to buy. Today we decided to test one of the smartphones of Huawei, the distinguishing feature of which is, perhaps, only a 4000 mAh battery. Also, I’ll try to answer the question, is it worth buying Huawei Y7 2017?
Technical specifications Huawei Y7 2017:
- Display 2.5 D 5.5 inches with a resolution of 1280 x 720 pixels;
- 8-core Qualcomm Snapdragon 435 MSM8940 processor with Adreno 505;
- 2 GB of RAM;
- 16 GB of internal memory;
- Android 7.0 Nougat with EMUI 5.1;
- front camera: 12 Mp;
- Rear camera: 8 Mp;
- hybrid dual sim;
- GPS / Glonass;
- Wi-fi 802.11 b / g / n 2.4 GHz;
- Bluetooth 4.1;
- microSD memory card slot;
- microUSB port;
- 3.5 mm audio connector;
- battery with a capacity of 4000 mAh;
- Dimensions: 153.6 x 76.4 x 8.35 mm;
- weight: 165 grams.
Price Huawei Y7 at the time of publication of the review: 220 dollars.
For the same money itself (or even cheaper), you can buy a device with a screen diagonal of 5.5 inches, but with a resolution of 1920 x 1080 pixels, and not – as in the Huawei Y7 – 1280 x 720 pixels. It is unfortunate that there is an HD display here, because the difference in pixel density per inch, compared to its main competitors (Xiaomi Redmi Note 4, Asus Zenfone 3 Max and others) is really significant – 401 ppi versus 267 ppi. The difference is palpable – more demanding users will notice that the fonts are less sharp, and the edges of the icons are torn.
I do not have any complaints about the reaction of the screen to touch or even the viewing angles – it’s hard to say anything bad about them. Slightly worse showed itself the brightness of the screen – the maximum, does not allow comfortable use of the phone on sunny days, and the minimum pretty much surprised me, it just that is necessary, it does not cut in the eyes at night.
In the settings, we can change the color temperature of the screen, as well as the font size. It is important to note that there is also eye protection (a blue light filter), that is, an exquisite addition to a relatively cheap phone.
Operation and software:
We have already got used to Huawei smartphones using author processors from the Kirin line. But sometimes it makes exceptions, and one of them is Huawei Y7, which works thanks to Snapdragon 435 in combination with 2 GB of RAM. Unfortunately, this phone does not provide satisfactory smooth operation. From time to time you can see the deceleration (even the animation of unlocking the screen is not smooth), the launch of applications lasts a long time, as well as switching between them. Sometimes applications stop working and close themselves. Unfortunately, the Huawei Y7 2017 did not show itself very well, and there is no question of satisfactory performance here.
This is confirmed by the results obtained in the tests:
- AnTuTu: 43372
- Quadrant: 12484
- Ice Storm: 10267
- Ice Storm Extreme: 6082
- Ice Storm Unlimited: 9977
As befits Huawei, the interface has a lot of extra:
- Wi-fi +: switching between wi-fi and data transmission based on connection quality assessment;
- Wi-Fi Direct;
- all applications on the home screen or in the application box;
- The lower system beam includes buttons back, home and open applications – the first and last icons can be swapped;
- hold button;
- the sound of an incoming call or alarm can be turned off by flipping the phone face down;
- one-handed operation;
- control (answering machine),
- voice control;
- the mode of disconnecting (protection against accidental launch of the function of the phone in the pocket or bag);
- mode of operation in gloves;
- do not disturb mode;
- several modes of energy saving;
- simple screen mode (simplifies the screen, text and icons become larger);
- safe for files;
- Lock applications (password protected or fingerprint).
12 MP behind and 8 MP in front. On paper it looks quite decent, but in reality, unfortunately, they did not show anything good. Of course, photos taken in good or even excellent lighting conditions are very good (but in good conditions, almost all smart phones make excellent pictures). But when the light gets smaller, the quality of the images deteriorates sharply. There is a little noise (in the photographs from the front camera it is much larger), and the detailing, which is already so low, becomes even worse. And the sharpness of these pictures leaves much to be desired.
It is also worth noting that near the back of the camera lens there is an LED flash, which is very helpful when shooting subjects. There is no flash in front, but the screen illumination function takes over the screen, which, when shooting, includes the maximum brightness.
Frankly, I expected much more from the battery. The Y7 2017 is equipped with a 4000 mAh battery. 4000 mAh is a lot, which gives hope for good results. Yes, it showed really good results, but I can not say that they are excellent.
A day or two days of work – that’s how much it can withstand, on the included screen (SoT) 4,5 – 5,5 hours. This is not the best performance, especially since the smartphone is equipped with a screen with HD resolution, and its system does not require much energy. The battery is really capacious, but not the best.
Other important aspects:
- Quality of calls: not the best. All is well, only the speaker is not the loudest and there are little noises. You can talk, but I’m used to better quality. It catches the net well.
- Dual SIM: a hybrid, which means that you can simultaneously use two nanoSIM cards or one nanoSIM and a microSD memory card. Dual SIM standby.
- Speaker: despite two gratings on the lower edge, there is one speaker here. It’s not too loud. But this has its advantage, it does not crack and does not make noise.
- Design and quality: without a fingerprint scanner on the back, the Huawei Y7 2017 looks somehow a little empty. The camera lens is too close to the top edge. I have nothing to blame for the quality of the performance, here the aluminum case, the parts of which perfectly match each other.
After reading the first few sentences of this review, I think you realized that the Y7 2017 is not the best smartphone. All because of the fact that at a similar price you can find a more attractive and better equipped smartphone. Huawei has in its range of successful devices (with the budget this P8 Lite), but, unfortunately, Huawei Y7 is not one of them.