OnePlus 5 is a smartphone that will compete with the best phones in terms of price and quality. That’s all there is to know about him.
New design with obsession with details.
Until now, OnePlus smartphones offered a rather original and distinctive design for this company. OnePlus 5 breaks with tradition, and looks like a copy of the iPhone 7 Plus.
The manufacturer boasts that the body is made with an obsession to the details. “This emphasizes the color matching of all ports and antenna stripes to the entire design.
Anodized aluminum is used to make the back of the case, and the display is covered with an upgraded Gorilla Glass 5 glass. The screen is also covered with a film.
OnePlus 5 is the thinnest smartphone of this manufacturer, its thickness is only 7.25 mm. Earlier, the company’s representatives claimed that their smartphone would be the thinnest flagship on the market, but that’s not true.
Under the display is a fingerprint scanner, as well as touch buttons, but you can turn them off and activate the soft keys.
What about the headphone jack? It is in its place, which can not be said about the iPhone 7.
In its place also remained a well-known from previous models – a slider that allows you to switch between the notification modes, as well as instantaneous muting / turning on the sound.
OnePlus 5 will be available in black and gray colors. The color of the case depends on the amount of memory, as in the subsequent part of the recording.
Dual camera, as in the iPhone 7 Plus.
OnePlus 5 has a dual camera, similar to the one that costs in the iPhone 7 Plus. However, the company does not hide that she is grateful to Apple for lending such a decision.
The camera consists of two adjacent matrices:
- A 16 megapixel Sony IMX398 matrix with a standard lens, f / 1.7 aperture and 1.12 micron pixels;
- A 20 megapixel Sony IMX350 matrix with a telephoto lens (2x optical zoom), a f / 2.6 aperture and 1 μm pixels.
A very similar solution is used in the iPhone. But if in Apple products, both cameras have the same resolution, then in OnePlusie 5, the additional camera has a resolution even higher. And the software should allow you to get even 8x magnification without a noticeable drop in sharpness.
Blur the background in portrait mode.
The additional camera has a good check when shooting portraits; Use of long-distance focal length will avoid distortion of the face.
In this mode, the main camera is used to collect information about the distances between different objects, which allows you to blur the background behind the object in the foreground.
This improvement does not stop the camera.
A high brightness f / 1.7 diaphragm will ensure good camera performance in poor lighting conditions.
OnePlus 5 also boasts an improvement:
- Algorithms analyzing various image fragments to remove as much noise as possible;
HDR mode, which improves the range of tones when the subject is illuminated from behind;
- Auto focusing, he uses both cameras to focus.
- There was also a technology Smart Capture, which should recognize the situation, to properly adjust the white balance and other settings. Some parameters will be used when performing portraits, while others will be used during panorama shooting.
In the program, I also found an advanced manual mode that allows you to manually adjust all parameters (including exposure). After its activation, a histogram appears on the screen.
Disappointing only the lack of optical image stabilization.
Due to the powerful specification, OnePlus 5 should work very smoothly.
The heart of the phone is a powerful Snapdragon 835, which works on such phones as Xperia XZ Premium, HTC U11 and American version of Galaxy S8.
ONEPLUS 5 – Specifications:
- Manufacturer: OnePlus.
- Family: OnePlus.
- Segment: flagship smartphone.
- Operating system: Android 7.1 Nougat.
- System tab: OxygenOS.
- Released: 2017.
- Display diagonal: 5.5 inches.
- The screen resolution is 1920 x 1080.
- Matrix type: AMOLED Optic.
- The pixel density is 401 ppi.
- Processor model: Qualcomm Snapdragon 835.
- The number of cores: 8-core, 4 x Kryo to 2.45 GHz, 4 x Kryo to 1.9 GHz.
- Graphic system: Adreno 540.
- The maximum amount of RAM: 8 GB.
- The maximum internal memory is 128 GB.
- Matrix resolution: 16 megapixels.
- Aperture brightness: f / 1,7.
- Optical image stabilization: no.
- Electronic image stabilization: yes.
- Double flash.
- Auto focus with phase detection.
- The second matrix: 20 Mp, zoom (double optical zoom), f / 2.6.
- Matrix resolution: 16 megapixels.
- Aperture brightness: f / 2.0.
- Optical image stabilization: no.
- LTE cat. 12.
- Wi-fi 802.11 a / b / g / n / ac, two display zones.
- Bluetooth 5.0.
- GPS / A-GPS / GLONASS / Beidou.
- USB 2.0 type C.
Safety and sensors:
- Fingerprint reader: yes.
- An iris scanner: no.
- Sensors: accelerometer, gyroscope, approximation, illumination, digital compass.
Dimensions and weight:
- Dimensions: 152.7 x 74.7 x 7.25 mm.
- Weight: 153 g.
- Battery capacity: 3300 mAh.
- The battery is not removable.
- Rapid loading: Dash Charge
The system is supported by 6 or 8 GB of RAM type LPDDR4X, as well as fast memory UFS 2.1 Dual Lane. Such components will ensure high speed of operation.
To improve performance, the software has also been optimized.
Engineers and developers of OnePlus made some improvements:
The best response to touch – thanks to improved screen calibration, it’s faster and more accurate to monitor the movement of your finger.
App Priority is a feature by which the software will learn user behavior so that the most frequently used applications are loaded faster.
During the presentation, a representative of Qualcomm appeared on the stage, who assured that the speed of this model was really important for OnePlus.
In Android 7.1 Nougat was added several copyright add-ons.
OnePlus 5 runs under the operating system OxygenOS, that is, a modified Android. In the software, the company added:
- Reading Mode is the mode in which the temperature of the projected image changes according to the environment (in warm domestic light, the display will turn yellowish).
- Gaming DND Mode – the mode of disabling notifications and buttons during the game.
- Secure Box is a folder that protects personal documents, photos and videos with a fingerprint or a 6-digit PIN.
- Extended screenshots – while capturing a screenshot, the program captures different parts of the image until the button is pressed again. Thus, you can save, for example, all web pages in one image.
Not much, but at least some improvement. The company emphasizes that it wanted the software to be neat and free of unnecessary functions.
In the context of the battery, the manufacturer can only boast of charging speed.
OnePlus 5 has a battery capacity of 3300 mAh, and this is slightly less than in OnePlus 3T. During the presentation, there were no bold statements about the time of work on one charge, and all attention was paid to the charging speed.
The company again introduced the author’s technology Dash Charge. When plugged into a power outlet, 30 minutes will be enough to fill the battery from 0 to 58%.
The Chinese also boast that, unlike competing solutions, OnePlus 5 is charging quickly even when it is heavily used.
What other than that?
In OnePlus 5 there is a new vibrating engine. In comparison with the predecessor, it should be stronger, and at the same time it is much quieter.
The Optic AMOLED screen allows you to set three color modes: standard, sRGB and DCI-P3. The latter is a color standard that was popularized by the American cinema industry and is used, in particular, in the iPhone 7 and Galaxy S8. This is the response to user complaints that the color rendering in the OnePlus 3 model did not match.
OnePlusa 5 prices are really good.
Depending on the option, the smartphone will cost:
- OnePlus 5 gray 6/64 GB – 499 euros;
- OnePlus 5 black 8/128 GB – 559 euros.
The device, of course, is much more expensive than its predecessors, but against the background of direct competitors, it looks very good. Many consumers should be pleased that the OnePlus 5 is almost twice as cheap as the iPhone 7 Plus.
Moreover, the difference in the prices of the two options is surprisingly small. I’m not sorry to pay 60 euros for an additional 64 GB of memory and 2 GB of RAM. A more detailed review we will write a little later.