Not only such names as “8110” or “Xpress-on” return to the mobile market, but also “Sirocco”. Under this name appeared the new flagship of HMD Global. This is Nokia 8 Sirocco. Here’s what you need to know about her.
In recent months, several times there has been information about Nokia 9, but this device will come to wait for a little more. Finns decided to first revive the brand “Sirocco”, which in the past belonged to the luxurious edition of the Nokia 8800. Now this name will be worn by the improved Nokia 8.
The quality of performance has become even better
Nokia 8 is a device to which it’s hard to find fault when it comes to performance quality, but the Sirocco model in this regard is even better. The company decided to use a new design, which is based on a frame made of stainless steel (more than twice as strong as the aluminum of the 6000 series), in addition, its body is completely sealed and meets the IP67 standard.
The key change concerns the screen. Here stands a 5.5-inch POLED display with a resolution of QuadHD (2560 x 1440 pixels). It is slightly curved on the sides panel, which protects the glass Gorilla Glass 5 3D. A similar protective glass is on the rear panel. HDM Global boasts that the Nokia 8 Sirocco body is 95% glass.
Slightly improved specification
The Sirocco model is still based on Snapdragon 835 2017, and it also has a very similar dual camera with Zeiss optics, like its predecessor. This time the manufacturer made a bet on a telephoto lens, the main function of which is to provide a 2x zoom without loss of quality:
- the main lens: 12 megapixels, 1.4 μm pixels, aperture f / 1.75, a viewing angle of 78 degrees;
- additional lens: 13 megapixels, 1 μm pixels, aperture f / 2.6, viewing angle 47.3 degrees;
- double, two-toned flash.
The new screen and beautiful, waterproof design are not the only changes in relation to Nokia 8. The company managed to improve the battery, which now has not only 3260 mAh (3090 mAh in Nokia 8), but also supports the Qi wireless charging function. It also received an improved version of Nokia OZO Audio – new microphones should handle the recording of sound with an input loudness of up to 120 dB.
NOKIA 8 SIROCCO – Specifications:
- Screen: 5.5 inches, 2560 x 1440 pixels, AMOLED (POLED).
- Processor: Qualcomm Snapdragon 835, 4 x Kryo 2.35 GHz and 4 x Kryo 280 1.9 GHz.
- The graphics processor is Adreno 540.
- RAM: 6 GB.
- Internal memory: 128 GB.
- Support for microSD: up to 256 GB.
- Operating system: Android 8.0 Oreo with an overlay Android One.
- Main camera: 12 Mp, f / 1.75 + 13 Mp, f / 2.6, double, two-tone flash and laser auto focus.
- Front camera: 5 megapixel, aperture f / 2.0.
- Communication: LTE cat. 9, Wi-fi 802.11 a / b / g / n / ac, Bluetooth 5.0, GPS / A-GPS / GLONASS / BDS, NFC,
- USB 3.1 Type C, Dual SIM.
- Security: fingerprint scanner, degree of protection IP67.
- Sensors: accelerometer, gyroscope, approximation, illumination, digital compass, barometer.
- Dimensions: 140.93 x 72.97 x 7.5 mm.
- Battery: 3260 mAh, not removable, Quick Charge 4.0.
The plus is also that Nokia 8 Sirocco will be equipped as standard with 6 GB of RAM LPDDR4X and 128 GB of internal memory UFS 2.1.
Android One and Nokia Camera
At MWC 2018 HMD Global reported on the strengthening of partnerships with the giant from Mountain View. The result is the company’s joining the Android One program. This means that the models from Nokia 3 and above will work on a platform for which Google is fully responsible for the update.
Nokia 8 Sirocco is one of the most powerful devices with pure Android, which should appeal to a large group of users. But HMD Global also decided to add something from itself.
Finns introduced an updated version of the application Nokia Camera, which was part of the standard Windows Phone application suite. It has not only the same appearance, but also gives access to the same parameters (ISO change, contrast, white balance, etc.). The Dual-Sight function has also been improved.
Unfortunately, the price will not be low
Sirocco brand obliges to increase the price. The new version of Nokia 8 is considered by HMD Global as a premium product, so customers will have to reckon with certain expenses. On sale the device should appear in early April, and its recommended retail price is 749 euros. And what do you think about this model?