Finally, the CAT S60 with a rugged case and an infrared camera waited for a successor. The CAT S61 model should offer not only an improved case, better camera and IR port, but also several other additions. It’s a pity that the cost of a new device of a British company is difficult to call affordable.
Durable CAT S61 at MWC 2018
The company Bullitt Mobile, which stands for smartphones with the CAT logo, decided to use the Mobile World Congress to present their new products. The key model is the flagship model rugged with the designation S61, which was officially announced before the exhibition.
The flagship novelty CAT is equipped with a 5.2-inch IPS LCD screen with a resolution of FullHD, which should provide good visibility in the open air, and yet it can be controlled with wet fingers or with gloves. In front, it is protected by a layer of Gorilla Glass 5 glass from Corning.
The reinforced housing, which is based on an aluminum alloy frame, complies with the MIL-STD-810G standard. CAT S61 should survive after free fall from a height of 1.8 meters. Of course, it also has the IP68 certificate, and the manufacturer claims that the smartphone can withstand an hour at a depth of 3 meters.
Advanced thermal imaging camera
Of course, the key advantage of the device is the built-in thermal imager of the American company FLIR Systems. This solution is much better than in S60. It will provide:
- improved sensitivity of the sensor – the ability to register from -20 degrees Celsius to 400 degrees Celsius;
- the best resolution – the ability to record in HD quality (VGA to S60);
- new MSX FLIR technology – should better optimize the parameters of the output image;
- a new version of the application MyFlir – to provide the function of streaming video from a thermal imaging camera in real time, and also give access to a number of tips and a special forum for users of thermal imagers.
Bullitt Mobile boasts that the CAT S61 will be better than the predecessor in each of the applications of the thermal imaging camera. The British company mentions that the smartphone can be used to diagnose cars, to look for unsealed windows and overheating certain areas. There are many other ways to use this camera, but it’s better to read them on special forums.
Air purity sensor and laser ruler
In addition, the British also established two rather unusual additions, which should make the S61 an even more attractive offer for people working in factories or construction sites. These decisions are:
- Air purity sensor – it detects volatile organic compounds that are emitted from paints, solvents, cleaning agents and other materials, this sensor will alert the user when their level can affect his health.
- The laser ruler is a special module that allows measurements at distances up to 10 m, and the data must be saved together with images (supports imperial and metric units).
The company also took care of a few more ordinary, but no less attractive additives. The smartphone received a battery with a capacity of 4500 mAh, which can be charged using the Qualcomm Quick Charge 4.0 function. Also there is a LTE modem category 13 and a Bluetooth module in version 5.0.
CAT S61 with 100% upgrade to Android P
The S61 does not use the best processor. The company supplied Snapdragon 630, which should work with 4 GB of RAM. Taking into account the high price, I expected to see here at least Snapdragona 660. Moreover, he received 64 GB of memory and a 16 MB camera with the ability to write in 4K.
CAT S61 – Specifications:
- Manufacturer: CAT.
- Family: CAT S.
- Segment: flagship smartphone.
- Operating system: Android 8.0 Oreo.
- Released: 2018.
- Display diagonal: 5.2 inches.
- Screen resolution: 1920 x 1080 pixels.
- Type of matrix: IPS LCD.
- The pixel density is 424 ppi.
- Processor model: Qualcomm Snapdragon 630.
- The number of cores: 8-core, 8 x Cortex-A53 with a clock frequency of 2.2 GHz.
- Graphical system: Adreno 508.
- Memory: 4 GB.
- Internal memory: 64 GB.
- Support for microSD memory cards: 256 GB.
- Matrix resolution: 16 megapixels.
- Flash: double, two-ton.
- Auto focus with phase detection.
- The second matrix: the thermal imaging camera FLIR, HD.
- Matrix resolution: 8 Mp.
- LTE category 13.
- Wi-fi: 802.11 a, b, g, n, ac, two display zones.
- Bluetooth 5.0, A2DP, LE.
- GPS / A-GPS / GLONASS / GALILEO / QZSS.
- USB 2.0 type C.
- Dual SIM.
Safety and sensors:
- Sensors: VOC air sensor, accelerometer, gyro, approximation, digital compass.
Dimensions and weight:
- Dimensions: 150 x 76 x 13 mm.
- Battery capacity: 4500 mAh.
- Battery type: not removable.
- Quick Charge: Qualcomm Quick Charge 4.0.
- Degree of protection: IP68, MIL-STD 810G.
The plus is that the CAT S61 is standard on Android 8.0 Oreo. The equipment is not yet on sale, and the manufacturer already now reports that it will be updated to the new Android R. An additional advantage should be a dedicated application directory for smartphone users such as rugged.
Everything would be super, if not for the price
The CAT S61 will be exhibited at MWC-2018, and it will be available for sale in the second quarter of 2018. The manufacturer’s recommended retail price is 899 euros. This is more than anyone could have expected, since it is cheaper to buy the flagship of many other companies.
It must be taken into account, however, that the additions that Bullitt Mobile has prepared do not relate to cheap (branded components), and the devices of rugged famous brands are in themselves relatively expensive. CAT S61 is a reliable product, and the manufacturer decided to confirm it with the appropriate price.